Gainsborough "Old Hall" was used briefly for meetings by English Separatists in the early 1600's. After relocating to Holland, these Separatists began to practice more of the "Baptist" beliefs. Part of the group sailed to America and another part returned to England and started the first Baptist church in London in 1612.
Though Baptists today have varied beliefs and practices, there are several core issues that historically have defined us. Many of these truths were made clear under persecution by other religious groups. Here is a brief overview of these issues.
- B - Biblical Authority
- A - Autonomy of the Local Church
- P - Priesthood of the Believer
- T - Two Church Ordinances
- I - Individual Soul Liberty
- S - Separation of Church and State
- T - Two Church Offices
- S - Saved Church Membership
Click on a link for more information.